How I met your mother is an American sitcom that aired from September 2005 to March 2014. The show follows the life of Ted Mosby in the events that led him to meet the mother of his children, with a lot of humor and some drama. If you miss the TV show as much as we do, then we have good news for you. Today, we will remember the most iconic quotes from our favorite characters that could help us in different aspects of our lives.
1. The separation: "Everyone has an opinion on how long it takes to recover from a breakup."
— Ted Mosby, Season 4: The Naked Man
2. Maturity: "It's just... eventually, we're all gonna move on. It's called growing up."
— Lily Aldrin, Season 5: Robots Versus Wrestlers
3. The guilt: "I wound up shame-eating the whole pizza. I woke up all greasy and sweaty. My sheets looked like what they wrap deli sandwiches in. Maybe I should join a gym. Do you go to a gym?"
— Ted Mosby, Season 3: The Yips
4. Life changes: "There are a lot of little reasons why the big things in our lives happen."
— Ted Mosby, Season 4: Right Place, Right Time
5. The momentous dates: "There are two big days in any love story: the day you meet the girl of your dreams and the day you marry her."
— Ted Mosby, Season 6: Big Days
6. Aging: "We’re going to get older whether we like it or not, so the only question is whether we get on with our lives, or desperately cling to the past."
— Ted Mosby, Season 4: Intervention
7. Desires: "I realized that I'm searching, searching for what I really want in life. And you know what? I have absolutely no idea what that is."
— Barney Stinson, Season 8: Lobster Crawl
8. Halloween tips: "Every Halloween, I bring a spare costume, in case I strike out with the hottest girl at the party. That way, I have a second chance to make a first impression."
— Barney Stinson, Season 1: Slutty Pumpkin
9. Old events: "You can't cling to the past. Because no matter how tightly you hold on, it's already gone."
— Ted Mosby, Season 8: Something Old
10. The night: "Nothing good happens after 2:00 am… when 2:00 am rolls around, just go home and go to sleep."
— Ted Mosby, Season 1: Nothing Good Happens After 2 A.M.
— Ted Mosby, Season 2: Lucky Penny
12. Gay marriage: "If gay guys start getting married, then suddenly the whole world's gonna be doing it. That's how it works: they start something, then six months later, everyone follows."
— Barney Stinson, Season 2: Single Stamina
13. The right one: "Shouldn't we hold out for the person who doesn't just tolerate our little quirks but actually kinda likes them?"
— Ted Mosby, Season 5: Double Date
14. The right one, part 2: "You will be shocked, kids, when you discover how easy it is in life to part ways with people forever. That's why, when you find someone you want to keep around, you do something about it."
— Ted Mosby, Season 9: Gary Blauman
15. The wedding day: "She walks down the aisle. You say your vows; you go to the reception; you have your first dance. Before you know it, just like magic, you realize it's a perfect fit."
— Ted Mosby, Season 9: Vesuvius
16. Sexual relationships: "The only reason to wait a month for sex is if she's 17 years, 11 months old."
— Barney Stinson, Season 1: Zip, Zip, Zip
17. Dating: "There are only two reasons to date a girl you've already dated: breast implants."
— Barney Stinson, Season 1: Return of the Shirt
18. Coming to the world: "That was the night I was born. I rose like a phoenix from her mentholated bosom and strode into the world, Armani-clad and fully awesome."
— Barney Stinson, Season 3: The Yips
19. Carpe Diem: "Because sometimes, even if you know how something's gonna end, that doesn't mean you can't enjoy the ride."
— Ted Mosby, Season 2: Monday Night Football
20. The flaws: "If I ask you to change too many things about yourself, you're not gonna be the man I fell in love with. It turns out I accept and appreciate even the grossest, creepiest, most sociopathic parts of you."
— Robin Scherbatsky, Season 8: The Fortress
21. Moving on: "If you're not scared then you're not taking a chance. And if you're not taking a chance, then what the hell are you doing anyway?"
— Ted Mosby, Season 5: The Window
22. Resistance: "The more you fight it, the worse it’s gonna get. It’s like when your car slides on ice, you stir into the skid."
— Ted Mosby, Season 6: Desperation Day
23. Former relationships: "Kids, when you're in a new relationship, and you're competing with your ex for who's happier, it can get ugly."
— Ted Mosby, Season 8: Nannies
24. Ordering food: "We spend an hour arguing about where to eat, and we end up here anyway. I haven't eaten for two days. Can we please, for the love of God, just order something now?"
— Robin Scherbatsky, Season 4: The Best Burger in New York
25. Romantic wishes: "For the first time in my life, I don't want to find myself in three years with some random girl, no matter how many boobs she has. I wanna be with Quinn."
— Barney Stinson, Season 7: Trilogy Time
26. The calculations: "You guys dated before. That time counts. The clock doesn't reset to zero. It un-pauses from where you left off."
— Lily Aldrin, Season 8: The Autumn of Break-Ups
27. Too little too late: "Somewhere along the line, I forgot to pursue my dream, and now I'm old, and I'm a mom, and it's just too late for me."
— Lily Aldrin, Season 8: The Ashtray
28. Infidelity: "There are three rules of cheating: 1. It’s not cheating if you’re not the one who’s married. 2. It’s not cheating if her name has two adjacent vowels. 3. And it's not cheating if she’s from a different area code."
— Barney Stinson, Season 3: No Tomorrow
29. Contacting a girl: "Three days. We wait three days to call a woman because that's how long Jesus wants us to wait... True story."
— Barney Stinson, Season 4: The Three Days Rule
30. Fate: "That's the funny thing about destiny: it happens whether you plan it or not. It turns out I was just too close to the puzzle to see the picture that was forming."
— Ted Mosby, Season 1: Pilot
31. Loners: "People make fun of the guy who stays at home every night doing nothing, but the truth is that guy is a genius."
— Ted Mosby, Season 7: Now We're Even!
32. That gift Mother Nature gave you: "Your package has always been big enough. You may not realize this, Marshall Eriksen, but you’ve got a huge package!"
— Lily Aldrin, Season 1: Life Among the Gorillas
33. Time management: "I used to be in such a hurry all the time. Now I figured that if it's going to happen, it'll happen when it happens. I'm not going anywhere; she's not going anywhere. What's the rush?"
— Ted Mosby, Season 9: Platonish
34. Blundering: "So really the biggest mistake would be not to make that mistake because then you’ll go your whole life not knowing if something was a mistake or not."
— Lily Aldrin, Season 1: Milk
35. Cooperation: "Some couples always support each other, and some couples always challenge each other. But is one really better than the other? Yes. Support is better. Way better."
— Ted Mosby, Season 6: The Exploding Meatball Sub
36. Destiny: "I think, for the most part, if you're really honest with yourself about what you want out of life, life gives it to you."
— Ted Mosby, Season 2: Something Blue
37. Honesty: "We spend so much effort trying to keep parts of our lives hidden, even from our closest friends, that in those rare times when we do open up, it's amazing how minor those secrets all end up being."
— Ted Mosby, Season 1: Game Night
38. The comfort zone: "Oh, my God, look at you cowards! So afraid of any kind of change, so terrified of anything new! So-so desperate to cling to anything comfortable and familiar."
— Robin Scherbatsky, Season 4: Intervention
39. Rage: "You may think your only choices are to swallow your anger or throw it in someone's face, but there's a third option: You can just let it go, and only when you do that, you can move forward."
— Ted Mosby, Season 4: Happily Ever After
40. Certitude: It's like Descartes says, 'in order to determine whether we can know anything with certainty, we first have to doubt everything we know.'"
— Ted Mosby, Season 3: How I Met Everyone Else
Who would have thought that such funny characters like Ted Mosby, Robin Scherbatsky, and Barney Stinson could be so wise? These quotes can certainly teach us a lot during all those moments every person goes through. What do you think about them? Would you add any other that you liked? We'd love to know your opinion, so do not hesitate to drop a message in the comment section, and share this article with other fans of the show.
Source used: Quote Catalog