Prince Harry and Prince William Facts: What Impacted Princes' Royal Life and Personal Choices
As much as we see and read about the royal family, there are still some peculiar things about them that you are yet to find out. The royal family and it's dynamic make it one that is quite discreet, yet we have managed to gather information about your favorite royal family members. Did you know that Kate Middleton once modeled? Enjoy!
- As a nine-month-old baby, Prince William made his first overseas trip with his parents, Prince Charles and Princess Diana when they had an official visit to New Zealand and Australia in 1983.
- While Prince William wanted to be a policeman as a child, that soon changed after his brother, Prince Harry pointed out that he will be King one day instead.
- Princess Diana invited the supermodel Cindy Crawford to lunch at Kensington Palace so that Prince William, thirteen years old at the time, could meet his crush.
- Prince William had a version of his favorite cake, chocolate biscuit cake, made as one of the cakes for his wedding to Kate Middleton.
- Kate Middleton and Prince William's wedding ceremony got watched by an estimated two billion people worldwide and 24.5 million people in Britain.
- A school-friend accidentally hit Prince William on the forehead with a golf club during a game in 1991. The accident left him with a scar he refers to as his "Harry Potter" scar still visible to this day.
- Kate and Prince William met at St. Andrews University in Scotland, where he switched his studies to geography after he initially studied the history of arts.
- The Elton John classic, "Your Song" got sung by Ellie Goulding as Kate and Prince William's first dance at their wedding reception.
- Prince William became the first royal father to drive his wife and newborn home from the hospital, instead of traditionally being taken home by their security detail.
- As a child, Prince William got nicknamed "Wombat" by his parents while the media dubbed him "Wills."
- Prince William's relationship with Kate started out as friendship and later turned into romance when he shared an apartment with a mutual friend.
- Wanting to avoid unwanted attention, Prince William also got known as "Steve" while he attended St. Andrews University.
- While it handicapped Prince William's polo-playing, the world first learned that he is left-handed in 1991, when he signed his name in the Llandaf Catherdral's visitors book in Wales.
- Kate and Prince William enjoy their telly time and are big fans of "Homeland," the Australian soap "Neighbours" and think that "Game of Thrones" is also worth watching.
- The Prince and Kate live in Queen Elizabeth's late sister, Princess Margaret's former home in Kensington Palace. The four-story apartment 1a has three-bedroom suites, three kitchens, five reception rooms, and a day and night nursery.
- Kate Middleton's parents are wealthy. They own a retail company that sells party essentials named Party Pieces. Their business is valued to be a staggering amount of £30 million (about $39.5 million), according to Money magazine.
- Once upon a time, Kate used to model for her parents' business, Party Pieces. She and her sister, Pippa, used to have on "T-shirts with their ages on them and hold cupcakes" in the pictures for the catalog.
- Marlborough College was a boarding school in Wiltshire, the U.K. which accepted boys and girls. Kate attended this school when she was a teenager, even Princess Eugenie did.
- When the Duchess of Cambridge met her husband, she admitted that she blushed when she met him and was also very shy that she left hurriedly. Kate Middleton met Prince William when they were both students at the University of St Andrews in Fife, Scotland.
- When they were university students, Kate and Will were also flatmates. They spent a lot of time together, enjoying each other's company.
- Not only did Kate Middleton study art history, but she also graduated with flying colors in 2015. She had 2:1, also known as upper second-class honors.
- Kate Middleton loves the art of photography, and she is even an esteemed member of the Royal Photographic Society. This also makes her the first-ever royal patron of London's Victoria and Albert Museum in March 2018.
- James Middleton, Kate's brother, disclosed that he gifted Kate and Prince William, a dog; a cocker spaniel, after their wedding which was named Lupo.
- Kate is very much a sports person, and she also loves nature and open air. This is as a result of how she spent her childhood enjoying tennis, hockey, and sailing.
- When Kate married Prince William, she not only became a Duchess, she also became a Princess as the Queen bestowed her with the title of Her Royal Highness (HRH) the Duchess of Cambridge. HRH is used to refer to princes and princesses of the royal family.
- Similarly to his brother, Prince Harry made his first trip overseas with his parents at eight months old to Italy in May 1985.
- After finishing school, Prince Harry took a gap year and went to Africa, Argentina, and Australia where he worked with a number of charities.
- When Prince Harry finished his gap year, he attended the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst where he prepared for his military career.
- In the military, Prince Harry got named Captain Harry Wales.
- In 2002, when Prince Harry turned 18, the Queen gave him his own Coat of Arms, which he helped design.
- Since Prince Andrew flew helicopters in the 1982 Falklands War, Prince Harry became the first member of the royal family to be in combat when he served in Afghanistan.
- Even though Prince Harry's official surname is Mountbatten-Windsor, his full name is Henry Charles Albert David of Wales, with the official name of Prince Henry of Wales.
- On Prince Harry's 30th birthday, both princes received Princess Diana's iconic wedding dress as stated in her will.
- To raise awareness for wounded servicemen and women, Prince Harry trekked to the North Pole in 2011 with the Walking with the Wounded charity.
- The Prince has a loyal fan base of female followers referred to as "Harry Hunters."
- When Prince William and Kate got married at Westminster Abbey in 2011, Prince Harry served as his brother's best man.
- After Kate and Prince William got married, Prince Harry admitted to being "just as nervous as William" before the wedding.
- Arthur Landon, one of the richest young men in Britain, and the son of Virgin businessman Sir Richard, Sam Branson, and Thomas van Straubenzee are Prince Harry's closest friends.
- A reality television show called "I Wanna Marry Harry" aired in 2014, wherein hopefuls competed for the attention of a Prince Harry lookalike.
- Prince Harry's official residence is Kensington Palace in London.
- We did know that Meghan worked in the movie industry before she met Prince Harry and became a duchess. Well, what you didn't know is that she also worked as a calligrapher. This was a job she was happy doing.
- Not only did she act in movies, Meghan likes to enjoy a good movie. She even has favorites, which were the Jon Hamm drama, Girls, and The Newsroom.
- Apart from Meghan being a good actress, she is also an excellent cook and a great lover of food. She once had a blog post in which she mentioned her favored meals, which contained green juice, fish tacos, chicken adobo, cioppino, and kale chips.
- Besides loving to cook and enjoying food, Meghan Markle also appreciates a good glass of red wine. She once said, "At the end of a long day, there is nothing I enjoy more than a glass of wine."
- Meghan had always been a feminist, passionate about equality between men and women. When she was 11 years old, she heard an ad for Ivory dishwashing soap that was targeted at women. She wrote letters to lots of people to change this, which was successful. The catchphrase was changed from Women all over America" to "People all over America."
- Meghan had always wished to be on the movie scene, but she didn't want to be like every other girl in L.A. that wanted to be an actress. This made her take up international relations alongside theatre at Evanston, Illinois.
- Meghan always had high hopes and dreams, so when was an intern at the U.S. Embassy in Argentina, she thought that it was highly probable for her to make a career in politics.
- Before Meghan made her breakthrough on T.V., she used to work on a game show 'Deal or No Deal.' The job was one she didn't like and was quite stressful.
- While she was on her set of 'Suits,' Meghan had to live in Canada for a while. This is because shooting majorly took place in Toronto and she had to be available there. She ended up renting a three-bedroom house around Seaton Village.
- Meghan being the lucrative woman she is also had on the side, a clothing line with Reitmans (a Canadian retailing company).
Being a royal family member may sound daunting to the average Joe, with century-old traditions and etiquette, there is also a list of rules that everyone in the royal family has to follow. The blue-blooded, although strictly watched by the paparazzi and media, still gives next to zero information when they don't want to. This makes every piece of information about them of great value. Which of the facts did you love and which was a shock? Tell us in the comments section and share this article with a royal family fan today.